Friday, November 2, 2012


Blog for the week of 10/29-11/2
            This weeks reading was about the myth of education and empowerment.  One of the readings was about the author’s childhood as a boy developing through the educational system and his separation from his family.  He even lost the accent of his native heritage and found solace only through books.  He believed in order to be smart you need to study hard and read a ton.  He did not think about the knowledge you can gain through personal development and your own self-opinion.  He believed that education could be defined as imitation.  He discovered that he really did not have an opinion of his own.  Every thing he knew was based upon the hundreds of books that he read over the years and his own personal life, like his family, was a distant memory and not of any significance to him and his ultimate quest for knowledge.  He came to regret that decision and he eventually spent some time with his parents to make up for the time he lost being in college.  He discovered that he shared more characteristics with his mom and dad than he thought.  I really believe you need experience outside of the classroom to truly be well educated.  There is so much you can learn from the outside world and mistakes you have made in your life. He mentioned that he did not learn anything from his parents.  I think you can learn a whole lot from your parents, regardless of their past educational experience.  They have lived their own lives and can teach you lessons based upon their past mistakes. You cannot limit yourself to just the written world. Everything in this world has a lesson attached.  You can learn new things everywhere.

3 comments:

  1. How is learning from parents different than reading autobiographies about people who learned lessons from their past mistakes? I think you made a good point, but I recommend elaborating on what makes learning from parents an interactive experience rather than something that can be passively read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a good job explaining your opinion. But you didnt mention the author or which direct essay you were talking about. I think you can learn from anyone and anything. I have learned alot from my parents as well as books and being in class. Everything has something different to offer you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Written word is not the only way to gain education, I agree. I liked how you laid out your blog and wove your feelings in with the essays facts.

    ReplyDelete